Scope Of Expertise
Our specific areas of expertise are:
- Forensic Speaker Comparison
- Authentication of Recordings
- Sound Enhancement
- Transcription of Evidential Recordings
- Questioned Utterance Analysis
- Speaker Profiling
- Acoustic Investigations
- Voice Line-Ups and Earwitness Identification
- Linguistic Analysis of Documents
- Corporate Security Packages
Expertise is provided in the analysis of a range of languages, in addition to English.
Academic & Research Activities
In addition to performing casework we are also committed to the development of the field of forensic speech science through university teaching and research. Members of staff are centrally involved in the teaching and development of the world's first postgraduate course in forensic speech science in the Department of Language and Linguistic Science at the University of York, which has been running since 2007. Research is conducted internally, in collaboration with the University of York and with other organisations. Current projects include:
- Bayesian Biometrics for Forensics (BBfor2) - University of York
- Investigation of relationships between voice quality and long term formant distributions within the DyViS Corpus - Collaboration with the Phonetics Laboratory in the Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, University of Cambridge
- A multi-methodological approach to the instrumental phonetic and perceptual study of rhotic sounds in varieties of English - University of Leeds
Each case we undertake is allocated to a member of our scientific staff, all of whom are qualified to masters level or above and are committed to the advancement of knowledge, through publication and contributions to international conferences, in their expert areas. The combination of practical casework experience and strong academic and theoretical background continues to ensure our local and international reputation. Professional profiles of our staff, including summary CVs can be found on the staff profiles page.
Our expansion guarantees:
- A quality service based upon the highest standards of technology and qualified expert personnel.
- Continued professionalism in both the preparation and presentation of evidence to courts of all levels, both in the UK and abroad.
- A much swifter turnaround of cases in accordance with agreed deadlines and budgets.
Should you have any queries or just wish to discuss the ways we might assist you, please do not hesitate to contact us or arrange for a visit.